1. Arrange a time when you know your partner will not be distracted.
2. Ensure anything that may distract you has been suitably dealt with. For example, do it when your children are not going to be around and your work commitments will not interrupt you.
3. Be ready to explain why you wish to separate, as your partner will want to know.
4. Be prepared for the range of emotions your partner may show. They may be angry or upset and make accusations against you, so make sure you adopt a calm approach.
5. Be prepared to answer their questions, including what to do next. To know how to respond to this, you may find it useful to take initial advice from a solicitor.
Contact Teena Dhanota-Jones on [email protected] for further advice.